Ashanti Speaks About Launch Day

Posted on Posted in Sailing/Boating
Sunday April 9, 2017

Well, what a time I had! My captain told the crew that I need a minimum of six and a half feet of water to float when they put me in the water. My launch was scheduled for Thursday morning, March 30, 2017 at 1015. That morning the captain’s phone rang at seven thirty:

“Elmar, we are having a really busy day with seven trucks coming in today delivering boats. Is it possible for you to come now so we can get an early start?” That was the request of the crew.

“Sure, we will be there shortly.” Elmar is always very accommodating.

By the time Elmar and Carol arrived, I was already in the slings and in no time at all I found myself in the water. Elmar started my motor and began reversing out of the slings.


Oops, I couldn’t leave. The rear sling didn’t pass under my keel because it was low tide! They tried and tried, Elmar drove back and forth, back and forth. They pushed, they pulled, they cursed; nothing helped. Finally, they bit the bullet and unhooked the sling. They didn’t want to do that because it meant they had to drag it through the mud and it would get dirty, but they had no choice. I was getting tired of all this manoeuvring, which took a whole hour. Normally it is a 15-minute affair.

For some reason I was getting really hot under the collar (actually it was the engine). By the time I made it to the dock I had had it; so I just quit. There, that’ll teach them not to give my motor any water to keep it cool!  It really wasn’t Elmar’s fault that they launched me at low tide, but he now had the extra job of taking my water pump apart to replace the worn piece.

By Saturday all was fixed. Carol brought Elmar in the car and he and I took off for the South River dock. Carol returned to the condo and waited by the dock for us to arrive. That dock was one reason they bought into this particular retirement community. They always think of me; it makes me feel so loved.

When we had not shown up after an hour-it is only a 20-minute run-she came back and found us in an ACY slip. We had only just passed under the first bridge two minutes into the trip when I felt this rumbling in my innards and all of a sudden – I just felt this explosion. A hose busted! Elmar quickly spun me around and got us back to the dock. Another unexpected job for him!

He got on his bike and finally came back with a new hose, but there was another day gone.  He had to keep taking the side off my quarter berth and empty my big, full, sail locker each time he worked on my engine. I wasn’t too happy that he kept taking me apart, so I swallowed a few nuts and screws to let him know. I also kept getting quite hot and that of course did not make him happy.

By now, nine days had passed and all of us are tired. Elmar got enough cuts and scrapes to get a medal, Carol had blisters on her feet from bringing in countless bags of stuff that she made disappear in all my lockers and there is enough food for three months in the most unlikely places. I think I heard them say that they are almost ready to leave.

This evening Carol got an e-mail. Their tenants back home are moving out at just about the time we will arrive in Port Credit. That was unexpected! Now what? Are they going to leave me here? Are they driving home? What is going to happen to me? I don’t know what to expect. Come back soon to find out.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *